--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Just keep this in mind...with the possible exception
> of Cheech & Chong (a novelty throw-in that works
> splendidly) & the double tracked Indian voice in
> DJRD, Joni never used other's vocals upfront in her
> pre-Klein period, nor has she done so in her
> post-Klein period. But lo & behold, on
> WTRF/DED/CMIARS, we get all these duets and vocal
> throw-ins with people who JUST HAPPENED to have big
> hits at the time! What a coincidence!
>
> My hunches have always told me that behind the
> scenes these pairings were not Joni's idea. If it
> WAS a natural evolution, like she says, why does she
> basically abandon the approach on her current
> records?

You're probably right.  Ultimately, it doesn't matter
who does these other voices - it could be Jack the
Janitor for that matter.  They're usually minor parts
of the song and so could be sung by anyone, so why
drag all these different guys into the studio to
record a line or two if not for marketing purposes?
It was likely the Evil Klein's idea (gee, I wish Don
Rowe hadn't left the list - please, Don, come back -
we need you!)