(the Rev) Vince delurked long enough to testify:

>At Janis' concert at Ravinia (Chicago), August 1970, a group called Male
>Groupies For Janis Joplin made an appearance.  Had I not been tear gassed the
>prior week by Chicago's finest at a Sly and the Family attempted concert, I
>would have joined them.

Was Male Groupies For Janis Joplin truly a bunch of virile young studs or a
bunch of geeks with rampant hormones? (By 1970 I'd made that progression
from rampant-hormonally crippled geek to virile young stud. Something to do
with that acid trip after I'd bought my "lizard skin boots" and coming down
declared that I had "lizard king feet".)

>Of course I have forever regretted not going to see Janis anyway; I told my
>best friend we'd see her "next time" since we were both still recovering from
>the tear gassing (and glad we escaped the billy clubs).  Of course there never
>was a "next time."  We did see Love, Janis in 1999 together as our closest
>thing we could do to "next time."

The best I could do was keep Janis's "Not a Bead" poster on my wall. That
was several generations ago. When I picked up the JANIS CD anthology a few
years ago my dear wife gasped at the photo on the front: "She's topless!"

I've always cherished that photo and its cousins as Janis's gifts to those
who weren't able to know her in the flesh, so to speak.

Gil