Kakki wrote:

>I'm just loving your stories of tripping around Hollywood in the late 60s!

Here's another. Went to a benefit for the L.A. Free Clinic on March 31,
1969, at the Aquarius Theatre during the run of Hair. Bands included Buddy
Miles, Frank Zappa and The Mothers Of Invention, Captain Beefheart (an
early gig, maybe the first), Jethro Tull (just after This Was was released;
Dharma for One and Ian Anderson tossing suckers to the crowd), Illinois
Speed Press, Red Beans & Rice (most excellent and funky, and why didn't
they ever cut an album), Linda Ronstadt, Southwind, Dillard & Clark,
Chicago Transit Authority (before the first album was released; Terry Kath
broke a string during a tune and cued the band to take over while he
replaced it). Murray Roman was the emcee.

What a sense of community we had back then.

>You, Dulson and Darice should get together and write a book!

Never happen. We'd sit around smoking pot, or talk about smoking pot in the
1960s. Either way we'd get a contact high, feeding off each other, then
listen to early Joni and get lost in the vibrations of her guitar strings
or the meaning of that one lyric. Fer sure!

>Janis was huge here in Cal. at the time.  My art teacher in 10th grade even
>played her albums during class!

What was your art teacher, some kind of subversive pinko liberal hippie?
(Ooops, different discussion group. ;-) )

You're lucky to have received that kind of education when California
schooling still meant something.

Gil