Grace, sounding quite strangely like our old friend Colin, writes:

<< yes joni has given us some wonderful music. but that is not her worth. and
how sad for us if that is how we measure her and it is catastrophic for her
if she measures herself by what she does. >>

I loved your post, but Joni has every right to measure herself and find
satisfaction with all that she has accomplished, and with all she has yet to
create, in her life. Except for that horrific, oft mentioned perm in the
'80s, Joni doesn't have a lot to feel bad about.

How heady and weird it must be for her to go through life with what amounts
to occasional media mentions, periodic awards and recognition, and a small
legion of people who get it -- when she should be as revered in her lifetime
as Cole Porter or John Lennon were in theirs.

Seems to me she did her best, personally and professionally, at every stage
of her life, and continues to try to make corrections and amends as she goes
along. She was married to Art. Would people have liked her better if she had
hooked up with someone else? Maybe.

<< simply, the fact we value a nurse more than a road cleaner, is the root of
much suuffering..... >>

I worry more about the fact that we value a doctor more than a nurse. And
that road cleaners don't clean arteries, even if you pull over and ask them
nicely.

    --Bob