----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2002 5:43 AM
Subject: Re: through the wall (sjc)

> Grace, sounding quite strangely like our old friend Colin, writes:
>
> << yes joni has given us some wonderful music. but that is not her worth. and
> how sad for us if that is how we measure her and it is catastrophic for her
> if she measures herself by what she does. >>
>
> I loved your post, but Joni has every right to measure herself and find
> satisfaction with all that she has accomplished, and with all she has yet to
> create, in her life. Except for that horrific, oft mentioned perm in the
> '80s, Joni doesn't have a lot to feel bad about.

of course but self esteem isn't that simple! a person can spend their life doing
wondeful works(not just art but say caring for the dying or for orphans or whatever)
and still feel like they are not good enough1 and there are those in the caring field
who do it to make themselves feel better or to appear good rather than because they
feel compassion. Feeling valuable and worthy and loved has to come from within.
However, if one grows up with people who do not value you, it is going to be a very
difficult, if not impossible, task to learn to value oneself.

soooo....IF Joni felt not valued as achild, or unloved, or was criticised(I don't know
any of those things), she would have a difficult job valuing herself as a person and
may use her art as a way of gaining what she lacks and that is doomed to failure.

yes dr's are valued more than nurses. however, imagine where we would be without
sanitation workers! we all have a role and those roles are important.

---