"Jim L'Hommedieu (Lama)" wrote:

> I apologize for being a bit high-minded and preachy in my rant on Mulholland
> Drive.  I really thought "Blue Velvet" was wonderful but he hasn't "given"
> us a straight story before that or since.

Though I haven't liked all of his work, Lynch is miles above most. Like the
Coen Brothers, there are some missteps, but when they are on, they hit a bulls
eye. When Blue Velvet first came out I left the theater with an obviously
stunned look on my face. The manager came up to me and asked me what I thought.
I told him it was the best film I had seen in a long time. He said he was
relieved to hear me say that because he thought so, also, but was dismayed at
how many people were walking out of the film. Lynch, like Joni, takes chances
and never fears to challenge. To me, signs of a true artist.

Jerry

np: Crying (Llorando) - Rebekah Del Rio (from Mulholland Drive)