On 1 Oct 2002 at 13:05, dsk wrote:

> Amelio Alamo wrote:
> >
> > Very easy listening kind of jazz pop and hardly ground-breaking I
> > agree. Norah says this herself in an interview. Certainly not bland
> > though. The album takes a few listens but it's very smoothe.
>
> And probably listening through earphones in a busy store isn't the
> most conducive environment for experiencing the subtleties, so I may
> eventually change my mind about her. For now she seems like another
> neatly marketed, young, attractive female singer who's not taking any
> chances.
>
> Yesterday I listened to Hissing of Summer Lawns and was again
> impressed with how fresh-sounding and bold it is, and I loved being
> able to clearly hear Joni's still-intriguing lyrics. Compared to that,
> Norah Jones or Alicia Keyes don't seem very interesting. To me.

Hearing Norah live makes it evident to me how much the debut misses in terms of
how she is using elements of country, blues and jazz together.  Alicia Keyes isn't
even in the same league....the only thing she has in common with Norah is that
they've both put out records around the same time.  Norah is a recording artist.
Alicia is a recording act.

I think to compare any young artist's debut to Hissing is a bit unfair.  Hissing was
Joni's seventh studio album.  It's nearly impossible for a debut artist to reflect
years
of recording experience in their first record.  Norah is younger than Joni was when
STAS was recorded and has far less experience than Joni had up to that point.  I say
give her a few years and see where she goes.

n.p.: Jacky Terrasson - "Just A Blues"
"Radio has no future" - Lord Kelvin, 1897