Dave Cuneo wrote:

> Ciao joniphiles,
>
>      "  I was never quite sure what that line was and 'Johnny Angel'
> just sounded silly to me. Do you know how this fits into the song and why
> Joni put it there? I've seen the video and I still can't figure it out."
>
>      dave: I have no idea! I'm sure someone else on the list might know or
> have a better guess.

While it doesn't address the Johnny Angel question, there is a wonderful essay
on the song at http://www.jonimitchell.com/EssayBeat.html. My take is that
Joni brilliantly juxtaposes the horror and realities of war that her
generation faced with the golden innocence of a time when Johnny Angel seemed
all a girl would think about. Joni often refers to that time in her youth, a
time of Sandra Dee, teased up kind of hair, poodle skirts, and big Cadillacs.

Jerry