Andrew,

Great thoughts and I think you make a good point about hearing a truer, more
plaintive delivery from many of the Canadian singers.  Another Canadian
artist who sings "unambitiously" is Diana Krall.
Not so sure where k.d. laing fits in.  I kind of think that really is her
natural voice - she seems to pull it off so effortlessly.  Some rare singers
are gifted with both  emotional verity and technical virtuosity.

Joni also said in the interview "I haven't heard a girl singer who wasn't
trying way too hard in 20 years." and "I'd rather have it be emotionally
correct than have some great vocal athlete tear it up on it."

I enjoy both kinds of singers but the ones who are "emotionally correct" are
usually the ones who impress me the most long term.

Kakki