[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I wonder what it is about Canada that seems to spawn singers who are
vocally "unambitious" - that is to say, untrained and more vocally raw. There
are so many who could be placed in this category: Jane Siberry, Loreena
McKennitt, Sarah McLachlan, Bryan Adams, Shania Twain, Alanis Morrisette.

There are exceptions, most notably the ear-rupturing ranting of Celine Dion.
Anne Murray and k.d. lang are other "crooners" of the north who also appear
to be vocally ambitious. >>

Fascinating post, Andrew, not least for the interpretive difficulty it throws
up: how does one define "ambitious" and "unambitous"?  Obviously, a voice
that we may find unambitious isn't necessarily "bad" [and yes, this is all In
The Opinion Of The Listener, blah blah blah] - Much as I loathe Shania Twain
and find her records unspeakably bland, I would be hard pressed to claim that
she has a bad voice.

I find the use of "ambitious" and "unambitous" hard to fathom - what exactly
was Joni on about?  I've heard Streisand's voice described in many ways, from
sublime through majestic to histrionic - but ambitious??  As time goes by,
I'm becoming more inclined to take everything Joni says about other
performers with a pinch of salt!

I can see your point about many of the most prominent Canadian singers
having, shall we say, plain voices - in addition to those you mention, Bruce
Cockburn would fit that bill.

On the other hand, surely nobody would describe Mary Margaret O'Hara's voice
as unambitious!  And where would Kate & Anna McGarrigle and Ron Sexsmith come
into it??

Azeem in London
NP: More extraordinary Portuguese music

On the other hand