Colin, I used to work in journalism specializing in mid-east issues and I worked on the 1991 Gulf War. What you say about the West having supplied Saddam with weapons is right, although in fairness, it was largely the mainstream American media that revealed that. But is it so wrong to attack Saddam now? He is a despicable despot. The Iraqi people live in terror of him. Any tiny thing can set off a chain of events that will lead to you or your loved ones being tortured and killed. Saddam and his family have devised the most horrific tortures: you can be hanged naked from the ceiling and slowly dipped into acid baths; kept in a mortuary container until you die or 'confess'; forced to watch your wife be gang-raped. These stories are not just Western propaganda. Many journalists have spoken directly to people who've had things like this happen to them or their loved ones.

We shouldn't see Iraq as a country about to be beaten in war, but rather as a country about to be liberated, like France from the Nazis. That's my opinion anyway.

Sarah

Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 02:36:37 +0000
From: colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 'prepare' njc

Randy Remote wrote:

colin, you pretty much nailed it. Bush has been planning this
attack and he is not about to let facts or anything else get in
his way. Iraq's 'dossier' was given to the US before anyone
got to see it. Our mainstream media is not reporting that it was
censored to remove pages in which US (and foreign, particularly
German) weapons makers were named who contributed deadly
products to Sadam right up until the month before Bush Sr's
Gulf "war". (As Bill Hicks said a war is when TWO nations
fight). In their campaign to sell this folly to the US people, the
big media here (now owned by 5 megacorporations) does
not want this kind of uncomfortable information widely known.
The only ones carrying it are the alternative media. The irony
(also never mentioned) is that this is only going to create more
hatred for the US, more terrorists, and we will be less safe
than ever. Thanks George. Guess all that schoolin' paid off.
RR

I wonder if he is about to attack NK? or is China a bit too close?

One of our newspapers yesterday had a whole frontpage warning the world
about a mad man with weapons of mass destruction-accomanpied by a pic of
Bush. I said on the list years ago that a ,lot of us non Americans felt
that WW3 would be started by the USA. It is not just non whites who fear
the USA. And it has othing to do with hatred of the uSA. It has to do
with genuine, fact based, fear. It seems the uDSA is answerable to no
one and expects eveyone else to answer to it.
As for Blair-how shameful.One opion here is that the reason he is
behaving as he is is ebcause he wants to Pres be of the USE. Seems daft
to me as I have nasty feeling there won't a USE to be pres of-or a USA
or anywhere. I hate to be so pessimistic, and I truly hope I am wrong,
but it gets increasingly diffiuclt to believe we are not all fucked. For
years I kidded myself that no one was as mad as this, that no one would
dare start a game. But then i didn't undertadn how far fundametalism had
spread and that the worlds greatest power(after China) would be so
influenced by it.