In a message dated 1/25/2003 3:31:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> If you were going to sing it, would
> you keep the line, "Tell those girls that you've got
> Joni - she's coming back home"? or would you change it
> - what would you change it to? your own name?

Historically speaking, it's been done both ways.

Karin Allyson sings "Joni"
Denise Marie sings "Joni"
Lorraine Gervais sings "'Raine" (short for Lorraine)
David Lahm & Steve Klink said nothing (instrumentals)
Claire Martin says ?? (should know in a week)
no male vocalist versions yet that I'm aware of. (When I sang it at Jonifest
2001, I kept Joni's lyric intact)

And I think while Michael has a point, I don't see the inclusion of her name
as an obstacle to BMR becoming a standard in time. BUT there are songs that
are very personal...still, are there any Joni songs more personal than I Had
A King & Little Green, yet they've been done several times, and very
effectively so I might add.

I would submit that what holds most singers back from doing a specific Joni
song is not the lyrical content but rather the musical complexity. When a
naturally gifted vocalist comments on how hard it is to sing Joni, you KNOW
it can be a daunting task!

Bob

NP: Son Volt, "Straighaways"