"He sends you a poem and she's lost to you"
My translation: The father sends the daughter a poem and yet the daughter is lost to
the father. The first "You" is a reference to the daughter and the second "You" is a
reference to the father. Joni is speaking to both parties in the same line, which
makes a bit confusing.
-Andrew

 Mark Tatum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Bob started an interesting thread
about the line in DTY that bugged him
a bit, and he received some really good responses. I also have a Joni
line that bothers me a little, and I wonder what your thoughts will be.
In Little Green, there are these lines where the mother tells the
father about the child and he responds with a poem:

He went to California
Hearing that everything's warmer there
So you write him a letter and say, "Her eyes are blue"
He sends you a poem and she's lost to you
Little Green, he's a non-conformer

These are the lyrics as they appear on JM.com. and on JMDL. What does
line four mean to you? Are the two "you"s in the line both referring to
the mother?