M.)also heard "he's" instead of "she's" and/or interpreted the line to
indicate that the poem signaled the loss of the father to the child and
mother.  But accepting the printed lyrics as correct, I am wondering if
they may indicate that receipt of the poem, instead of some indication
of the father's willingness to take responsibility, may have also
brought the mother to realize that she would not be able to raise her
daughter alone.  Thus, "she's lost to [the mother]."