Coilin, interesting, I was vegetarian for 16 years and this cooincided with my getting heavy, and I wonder whether it contributed to it, because it meant a high carb, low protein diet. It doesn't have to, but it did in my case. So when I started my weight loss diet, I very reluctantly factored in fish and organic chicken breast, and it seemed to make all the difference, because it filled me up, but without carbs, with little fat, and with lots of protein, which helps muscle and speeds up the metabolism, which in turn helps you lose more weight.

I can't understand where the low fat/high carb thing ever came from. When I was a teenager in the 70, diets were always low carb - no potatoes, no pasta, little bread, no sugar etc - then suddenly in the early 80s, the high carb thing took off, with Weightwatchers and so on, and I couldn't understand it. Anyway, it's on its way out now, but it's left a lot of people overweight and addicted. Look at a lot of so-called diet food in supermarkets, and it's often low fat and very high carb.

Sarah