Dan wrote:

> I saw her in Minneapolis on the S&L tour, and as I recall, she had 3?
> identical blond colored fat hollow-body guitars that were very similar (if
> not identical) to the one(s) I'd seen Pat Metheny play numerous times
> (including this concert).  The guitar on ebay is sunburst (but otherwise
> similar).  Okay, I located my incredibly bad dub of this video, and sure
> enough, she is playing 2? different blond guitars (at least one is an
> Ibanez, which is what the one on ebay is).  Got that?  So she had, by my
> reckoning, at least four similar guitars, maybe many more.  Did she have
> one for every one of her distinct tunings?

Well, my commercial copy of the "S&L" video shows her using blond guitars all
the way up to "Black Crow", where she uses a sunburst version. I could not
quickly discern how many such blond guitars there were. However, Metheny's
guitar was definitely a Gibson, and hers were Ibanez. (I believe I recall
that this video was culled from more than one performance on the tour in
California). After that, I believe that the sunburst made additional
appearances in the video, and there are scenes showing the transfer to her of
one guitar to another (via one of her "roadies", I gather, who I assume must
have tuned it).

I had not thought of the possibility of one guitar for each tuning. Hmmm.
That would take some of the chance (of a poor re-tuning job) out of it.

Does anyone know if these (Ibanez Benson's) were relatively inexpensive
guitars ? They sounded fine with Joni playing them, but perhaps she just
liked them because of the fretboard, or their weight, or the semiacoustic
wide body sound ?

Bobsart