Yes, and also, I bet her guitar string SETS were carefully selected based on her tunings; strings come in all different gauges: .009, .010, .011., .012, .......... up to .06 and beyond; you want them all to have the same tension.

At 05:14 PM 2/17/2003 -0800, you wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I had not thought of the possibility of one guitar for each tuning. Hmmm.
> That would take some of the chance (of a poor re-tuning job) out of it.

That practice goes way back, probably back to the moment she
could afford to do it. She used to be surrounded by a circle of
Martins on stage. One big reason for doing this (besides the sheer
difficulty of accurately tuning between songs, and the time it takes
to do it) is that when you radically retune, the strings and the neck
have a 'memory' and tend to go back out of tune a few times before
they settle in.

Dan Olson wrote:

>  Note that
> it doesn't have the "name tag".

If you are talking about the ebay sunburst, it does appear to have
her name inlaid in the last fret marker as the blond one does. They
don't show a close up, but that's sure what it looks like.

> Do you suppose that with Joni's new electronic guitar that handles of her
> tuning dilemnas, she has simply tired of all of these old analog guitars,
> and just wants to get rid of them?

She has said that she switched to the under 3 lb Parker Fly guitars
because she wasn't able to carry around the heavier guitars. Even
though the Ibanez is a hollowbody, it is probably a bit heavy for her,
as well as kind of large and thick for a person of Joni's size. Also,
I'm guessing she doesn't play all that much guitar these days, and
is 'thinning out the herd'.
RR