Azeem, we haven't just tolerated the suffering of the Iraqi people, we've caused much of it by (a) propping up Saddam Hussein and supporting his wretched war with Iran and then (b) with the economic sanctions after the invasion of Kuwait. I'm opposed to using economic sanctions as a political tool, because it's always the ordinary people who suffer and the leaders who find ways round them. There's a horrible article in today's Times about an Iraqi gravedigger who's keeping track of the children he's had to bury since sanctions began.

The situation has to be sorted out and I agree that it's incumbent upon the West to do it. But if not with an invasion, then what?

Sarah