> I will take a look at this. I may come to different conclusions than
> you, but I will propose something. Having a dump of all the attributes
> and documenting what to expect from each would be fantastic.

Excellent, appreciate your help!

Doing a Google Code Search yields lots of interesting edge cases that
we'll want to figure out:
http://www.google.com/codesearch?hl=en&lr=&q=\.attr\%28%22.*%3F%22+lang%3Ajavascript&sbtn=Search

> Seems petty to me. There is a good test case there that illustrates
> the problem. I'm not going to reproduce it to shelter jQuery from CLJ.

"I will take a look at this when I get a chance. I'm not going to copy
his code, but if there are any similarities then he can sue me."

Huh. Unfortunately we really don't want to deal with their bullshit,
especially if they're threatening to sue us. As we're looking to
transfer ownership of the code base over to the Software Freedom
Conservancy we can't take code from tainted sources - and if you're
unwilling to take responsibility for your code then we really won't be
able to accept code submissions from you.

Thankfully we can still use your help in figuring out a good situation
for the attributes to be in. Looking forward to your input.

> Nevertheless, since attr() calls height() for both getter and setter,
> the real problem is that
>  $o.height( $o.height() )
> is not reliable in some cases. So perhaps the issue is there, instead
> of with attr().

That seems likely.

> I've never been a fan of head-in-the-sand. I can find the pearls of
> wisdom in the posts there without taking anything personally. And
> there is a lot of good, robust, deep stuff posted there that you won't
> find in blog posts or discussions here. To each his own.

Naturally, it's a lot easier to not take it personally when they're
not making personal insults against you and threatening to sue you.

Thankfully we have people like Juriy Zaytsev that are providing useful
ways of contributing to the larger community:
http://thinkweb2.com/projects/prototype/

--John