I 2nd Dan's idea. What has made me wary about dipping into using LiveQuery is:

1. loss of an element of control, compared to just calling a helper function at the right time to rebind events 2. concern about overhead, since (as I understand it), it's watching for DOM changes and hence maybe not rebinding things in as efficient a manner as I would want. This concern could just come from not knowing (or having looked at) how it works under the covers, but I'd have to make time for that, to ease my concerns 3. concern about possibly rebinding things that I don't want rebound, so I'd have to write code to prevent it, ending up with around as much code as just rebinding via my helper function

- Jack

Dan G. Switzer, II wrote:
I think what I'd be more interested is having a method that would allow me
to really easily *manually* re-apply effects/events to a jQuery object.

For example:
$('li') .cache('some.name', function(){ // use the helper function hover to bind a mouseover and mouseout event $(this) .hover(function() { $(this).addClass('hover'); }, function() { $(this).removeClass('hover'); }); });

Now you could do:
$('li').applyCache('some.name');

Something like that would definitely save me some coding. (I'd allow a
manual cache "key", just so you could re-use the chain on other selectors.)

The benefit is you don't have the overhead of having to constantly monitor
the DOM, but you have an easy way to re-apply a bunch of commands to a
selector.

Right now I just use helper functions--which isn't hard, just not very
jQueryish. :)

Too bad there's no way to programmatically know the jQuery chain. It would
be really sweet to be able to do:

$('li')
.hover(function() { $(this).addClass('hover'); }, function() { $(this).removeClass('hover'); })
        .cache('some.name');

And have the cache() method be aware of all the methods called in the
current chain.

-Dan