The expander plug-in looks very useful, Karl.

I do this sort of thing with ColdFusion by cutting off
text after two conditions have been met:  1)  A certain
number of characters have been displayed and 2) after the
specified number of characters have been displayed, a
punctuation mark has appeared.  It can be done without the
second step, but I try to cut off the text at the end of
a sentence.

However, ColdFusion isn't capable of expanding the rest of the
text without a refresh of the page...usually, I just take the
reader to an article page.

I can see this coming in handy for announcements, also...especially
those that are lengthy.

Thanks for the tip!

Rick