> I hadn't followed this development.....tell us more. To where
> has the licensing fee moved? (i.e. what are the new
> deployment/licensing terms?).

As you saw, I described them a bit in a prev email that'll probably hit
your box a few seconds after you sent this one. :-)

I'll add that the <optional> IDE, Flex Builder is a separate charge. (It
is based on Eclipse, and Mr. Green will be happy to hear I think they
did a great job with it. I like it. It's not as good as if they'd used
Intellij of course... but I digress. <grin>)

If you need the "chart" components, they also cost a few hundred bucks
per developer.

> Also, does Flex require its own server?, or only requires it
> to get some advanced feature set?
Just to re-iterate...not anymore. You can deploy just the flash file. Or
you can leverage the Data Services server-side component...J2EE, can
drop it into an existing JVM.

> BTW - (just an off-topic comment) per-CPU licensing terms
> tend to be deal-breakers with gov't clients, who often have
> machines with many CPUs.
Yeah, I understand the logic in trying to charge based on CPU in that
smaller folks pay less than massive apps. But it also hurts when two
4-CPU boxen are in use in a cluster for an app-farm and only 1 out of
200 might actually use flex.

My understanding is that $20K/cpu is really just a starting point, so
like the $35K sticker on a car, careful negotiation can probably hammer
out a deal for far less.

-Timo