From: "bigchalk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Sackmann, Gleason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 06:08:18 -0700
Subject: Top 8 Web Sites

bigchalk's Top 8 Newsletter
Week of September 9 - September 15, 2002
http://www.bigchalk.com

Welcome to this week's installment of Top 8,
sponsored by AICPA.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/cpas02

Each week we bring you links to Web sites that
represent the very best online academic research
destinations.

*******************ADVERTISEMENT********************
Let the AICPA help you show your students how
to make a difference -- one business at a time.
Click here to receive great teaching tools.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/cpas02

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. National Math Trail
Teacher Resources > Subject Support > Math

2. Manhattan Timeformations
Regional Studies > United States > New York > Cities

3. 221B Baker Street
British Literature > 20th Century > Arthur Conan Doyle

4. KidsRunning.com
Physical Education & Sports > Fitness > Exercise

5. Mr. William Shakespeare
Performing Arts > Drama & Theater > Elizabethan Drama

6. Stately Knowledge
Country Data > United States

ELEMENTARY SITES

7. Virtual Farm
Technology > Agriculture > Farming Basics

8. Zoom Dinosaurs
Earth Science > Dinosaurs & Fossils > Dinosaurs

*****************ADVERTISEMENT*******************
Give your kids the best tools and we'll
give the PTA $$...
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/msftpta02

THIS WEEK'S TOP 8 SITES

1. National Math Trail
Teacher Resources > Subject Support > Math

Math is all around us! The National Math Trail encourages
students to share the math they find in their local
communities with others via the Internet. More than 800
math challenges have been created to date, many augmented
with digital photos, narratives, drawings, plus video and
audio clips. This ongoing project accepts new participants
year-round; so download the latest how-to guide, submission
forms and math standards correlations today.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023601

2. Manhattan Timeformations
Regional Studies > United States > New York > Cities

When most people think of a big city, New York City springs
to mind. Manhattan, specifically, is one of the most
concentrated urban areas in the world. This multimedia-rich
site presents a view of Manhattan that's never been seen
before: an interactive history of the building booms and
busts affecting more than 700 skyscrapers that went up
between 1893 and 1989. Fly-throughs, animations and
transparent views all add up to a truly unique learning
experience.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023602

3. 221B Baker Street
British Literature > 20th Century > Arthur Conan Doyle

The game's afoot -- online. Join Sherlock Holmes and his
trusted colleague John Watson, M.D., as they set out to solve
mysteries only the finest criminal detectives with the keenest
of eyes and intellect could unravel. This site is home to 48
of the 60 original tales published between 1887 and 1919.
Original artwork from the first editions is also available,
along with links to an active discussion board and additional
fan sites.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023603

4. KidsRunning.com
Physical Education & Sports > Fitness > Exercise

This fun site proves that running isn't just for active
adults. KidsRunning.com, created by a first-grade teacher,
contains a detailed running curriculum for elementary schools,
tips for hosting schoolwide running events, advice on nutrition
and stretching, plus kid-created stories, essays and artwork.
Links to local fun runs, races, triathlons, meets and walks are
just a click away!
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023604

5. Mr. William Shakespeare
Performing Arts > Drama & Theater > Elizabethan Drama

"There is something in't that stings his nature; for on the
reading it he changed almost into another man." Students of
Shakespeare will recognize this line from "All's Well That
Ends Well." Many first-time readers of the Bard's works report
that his plays and sonnets change them into different people
as well. The density of his prose inspires some students to
become life long fans of his work, while others find it
difficult to make sense of his words. No matter which camp
you fall into, this site is here to help. Its aim is to be
a complete annotated guide to the scholarly Shakespeare
resources available on Internet -- and more. Dive in today!
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023605

6. Stately Knowledge
Country Data > United States

Just how big is the Big Sky state? How many rivers flow
through New York? What's the capital of New Mexico? If you're
on the hunt for information about our 50 states, Stately
Knowledge is here to help. In addition to basic facts, you'll
find charts comparing state sizes and populations, the date
each state entered the Union and much more.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023606

ELEMENTARY SITES

7. Virtual Farm
Technology > Agriculture > Farming Basics

Kids, have you ever wondered what it's like to live on a
farm? The Virtual Farm takes you on a guided tour of one of
America's most important industries. You can use your mouse
to walk through a working virtual farm, learn about the food
chain and how food gets from the farm to your lunch tray, and
discover the special language producers (farmers) use to
communicate with one another. When you're finished, take the
Blue Ribbon Challenge to test your knowledge and win virtual
ribbons!
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023607

8. Zoom Dinosaurs
Earth Science > Dinosaurs & Fossils > Dinosaurs

If you like dinosaurs, you'll *love* this amazing Web site!
Zoom Dinosaurs links young Web surfers to dozens of
dino-friendly destinations. From dino-info pages to fact
sheets, printouts, coloring sheets, geologic time charts
and fun activities, there's something here for everyone.
There's even a list of tips for writing a great dinosaur
report!
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023608

*******************ADVERTISEMENT********************
Searching for an affordable way for everyone at
your school to work with an integrated set of
digital publishing tools? The Adobe(R) Publishing
Tools for Schools licensing suite features Adobe
PageMaker(R) 7.0, Adobe Photoshop(R) Elements and
Adobe Acrobat(R) 5.0 -- all at a great price.
Hurry -- this special offer ends 9.15.02!
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/adobepack02

BIGCHALK CALENDAR

Substitute Teacher Appreciation Week

Take time out this week to say thanks to substitute
teachers everywhere. These professional pinch hitters
help teachers keep their kids on-task when they're
away from their classroom. Connect to bigchalk's
collection of substitute-teaching links to help subs
make the grade! Includes links to emergency lesson
plans, activities, tips from other subs and more.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/subteachap

COLLEGE ZONE

Read advice about getting into the college of your choice
from myFootpath's admissions counselor in bigchalk's
College Zone.

This week's question: "This year will be the first year
my school will have AP Calculus and AP Physics. I'm going
to be a history major, so these classes do not help at
all. Will this hurt my chances of getting into the college
I want?"
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/czone01

BIGCHALK WEB SITE OF THE MONTH

September 11 Digital Archive

"I first heard the news while working on my algebra
homework. My teacher came in looking nervous, and she
announced to us that a plane had crashed into the World
Trade Center, but she wasn't sure if it was accidental
or not." We all know where we were the morning of
September 11, 2001. Many of us were at school as the
day got under way. Others were in their cars on their
way to the office. No matter where you were on 9.11, you
have a tale to tell. The September 11 Digital Archive is
a central repository that collects, preserves and presents
these stories, as told by individuals from around the
world. Parents, teachers and students can their stories
to the collection, read others, view video and audio clips,
study Weblogs, link to dozens of related 9.11 anniversary
Web sites and more.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/sept02site

SEARCH BOX

Want an easy way to give students and parents instant
access to the Internet's largest, most up-to-date
directory of learning sites? Add a free bigchalk search
box to your Web pages. Users can search our collection
by keyword and filter their query by grade level.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/bcsearchbx

*******************ADVERTISEMENT********************
Ready for a break from lesson planning and
grading assignments? Take a minute to enter
bigchalk's Back to School Blast! You could
win great prizes from OfficeMax.com, Adobe
and VeryBestKids.com.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/btscontest

Thank you for reading this week's Top 8 newsletter.

Be sure to preview each link and try any
included projects or experiments before
using them with your students. All Web
sites included in this publication are
subject to the bigchalk Linking Policy.
http://www.bigchalk.com/corp/linkpolicy.html

We offer several newsletters of interest to
students, parents, teachers and Web surfers.
To find out more, link to our newsletter
signup page today.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/signup8

To find out more about bigchalk, connect
to our Web site:
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/bchome8

Looking for an archive of all past Top 8
sites arranged by theme? Connect to the
Top 8 collection.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8c

If you have any questions or comments,