Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:19:35 EDT
From: "bigchalk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Top 8 Web Sites
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

bigchalk's Top 8 Newsletter
Week of September 23 - September 29, 2002
http://www.bigchalk.com

Welcome to this week's installment of Top 8,
sponsored by Be a Music Mogul.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/wunderman02

Each week we bring you links to Web sites that
represent the very best online academic research
destinations.

*******************ADVERTISEMENT********************
BE A MUSIC MOGUL!
The educational online game that lets your
students learn strategic thinking, budgeting,
planning, money management and other important
business skills as they create a virtual
music empire. Brought to you by America's
CPAs and MP3.com!
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/wunderman02

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. MightyBook.com: Literacy & Reading
English Language Arts > Online Stories

2. Math CyberChallenges
Student Resources > Games & Challenges > Math

3. Girls Inc.
Elementary Resources > Girl Power > Activities

4. Northern Lights
Earth Sciences > Meteorology > Atmosphere > Aurora

5. Traveling Ed: Southeast Asia
Technology Integration Resources > Net Projects

6. Page By Page Books
Literature > Resources > Online Text Collections

ELEMENTARY SITES

7. San Francisco Symphony Kids' Site
Music > Instruments > Symphony

8. Infection Detection Protection
Science > Health > Health Issues > Illnesses

*****************ADVERTISEMENT*******************
Give your kids the best tools and we'll give
the PTA $$...
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/msftpta02

THIS WEEK'S TOP 8 SITES

1. MightyBook.com: Literacy & Reading
English Language Arts > Online Stories

Educators know that it can be "mighty" hard to get youngsters
to read. That's where MightyBook.com comes in! Here you'll find
a growing collection of educator-approved, animated read- and
sing-along books for ages two to pre-teen. Turn up your speakers
for "I Have No Tail," "Katy Katoo" and "Willoby Wallaby." The
site is available free of charge, no registration is required
and no advertising banners are allowed.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023801

2. Math CyberChallenges
Student Resources > Games & Challenges > Math

Are your pupils up to the challenge? This simple site was
created with one goal in mind -- to sharpen students' addition,
subtraction, multiplication and division skills. Click a play
button to begin. How many problems can your kids solve in one
minute? The site makes it easy for students to test and hone
their math knowledge anytime, anywhere -- at home or at school.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023802

3. Girls Inc.
Elementary Resources > Girl Power > Activities

For more than 50 years, Girls Inc. has been inspiring young
women to be strong, smart and bold. Its new Web site provides
access to innovative programs that help girls spot and confront
subtle societal messages about their value and potential, plus
prepares them to lead successful, independent and fulfilling
lives. You go, girls -- online!
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023803

4. Northern Lights
Earth Sciences > Meteorology > Atmosphere > Aurora

What causes auroras? When and where will they occur next?
This Norwegian destination has the answers, along with
stunning photos, detailed facts, data and more. Did you know
that brilliant auroras occur at 27-day intervals, while
active areas on the sun's surface face Earth during its
27-day rotation cycle? Find out more.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023804

5. Traveling Ed: Southeast Asia
Technology Integration Resources > Net Projects

TravelingEd.org provides online curriculum to help increase
international awareness in students. In October, an intrepid
traveler will head to Southeast Asia, and you and your
students can follow her travels through six weeks of
curriculum! Although the program is open to educators in
grades three through eight, the grade three lessons are being
offered to any educator who wishes to test them out and
provide the site owners with feedback. Sign up today!
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023805

6. Page By Page Books
Literature > Resources > Online Text Collections

Dozens of Web sites offer full-text versions of everything
from Shakespeare's plays to "War of the Worlds." However,
these versions are often long, cumbersome text files. Page
By Page Books now offers many of these titles in easy-to-read,
single-page formats. Just click "Next Page" to move through
the chapters. The new format makes it easy to add links to
specific passages of your literature lessons and activities.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023806

ELEMENTARY SITES

7. San Francisco Symphony Kids' Site
Music > Instruments > Symphony

Music teachers, take note! This kid-friendly site will have
your kids tapping their toes and humming along to the San
Francisco Symphony. Visitors can learn about notes, check
out the tempo, play with harmonies and more. Be sure to
check out the Performalator to play an existing piece, then
make your very own tune with the Composerizer.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023807

8. Infection Detection Protection
Science > Health > Health Issues > Illnesses

It's that time of year again -- Flu season is right around
the corner! Now is the perfect time to learn all about the
triumphs of microbe hunters and disease detectives.
Scientists know how to battle and even prevent many diseases
caused by bacteria and viruses. This site introduces kids
to the basics of microbes, bacteria, infection and disease
prevention through fun, colorful stories. Dive in, then
wash your hands!
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023808

*******************ADVERTISEMENT********************
New at VeryBestKids.com is Teacher's Corner, a
unique educator's resource created by teachers,
for teachers, to provide quality lessons and fun
activities for Grades Pre-K, K-2 and 3-5.
Click here:
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/verybestkids02

BIGCHALK CALENDAR

Shamu's Birthday

This week marks Shamu's 17th birthday! Did you know that
Shamu is a stage name given to many of SeaWorld's performing
orcas? When the first killer whale was born in captivity on
September 26, 1985, she was officially named Kalina, but to
adoring fans she was known as Baby Shamu. Celebrate her
birth by finding out more about killer whales at bigchalk.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/shamubirth

COLLEGE ZONE

Read advice about getting into the college of your choice
from myFootpath's admissions counselor in bigchalk's
College Zone.

This week's question: "I hear a lot of students talking
about selective colleges, or competitive colleges. What
exactly makes a college competitive, or selective?"
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/czone01

And don't forget to get help paying for college with
bigchalk and wiredscholar.
http://bigchalk.wiredscholar.com

BIGCHALK WEB SITE OF THE MONTH

September 11 Digital Archive

"I first heard the news while working on my algebra
homework. My teacher came in looking nervous, and she
announced to us that a plane had crashed into the World
Trade Center, but she wasn't sure if it was accidental
or not." We all know where we were the morning of
September 11, 2001. Many of us were at school as the
day got under way. Others were in their cars on their
way to the office. No matter where you were on 9.11, you
have a tale to tell. The September 11 Digital Archive is
a central repository that collects, preserves and presents
these stories, as told by individuals from around the
world. Parents, teachers and students can their stories
to the collection, read others, view video and audio clips,
study Weblogs, link to dozens of related 9.11 anniversary
Web sites and more.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/sept02site

SEARCH BOX

Want an easy way to give students and parents instant
access to the Internet's largest, most up-to-date
directory of learning sites? Add a free bigchalk search
box to your Web pages. Users can search our collection
by keyword and filter their query by grade level.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/bcsearchbx

*******************ADVERTISEMENT********************
Find great ideas for your finance curriculum and
win fantastic prizes for your classroom with
VISA's Practical Money Skills for Life Educator
Challenge. Hurry -- enter by September 30!
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/moneyskills02

Thank you for reading this week's Top 8 newsletter.

Be sure to preview each link and try any
included projects or experiments before
using them with your students. All Web
sites included in this publication are
subject to the bigchalk Linking Policy.
http://www.bigchalk.com/corp/linkpolicy.html

We offer several newsletters of interest to
students, parents, teachers and Web surfers.
To find out more, link to our newsletter
signup page today.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/signup8

To find out more about bigchalk, connect
to our Web site:
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/bchome8

Looking for an archive of all past Top 8
sites arranged by theme? Connect to the
Top 8 collection.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8c

If you have any questions or comments,