From: bigchalk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Sackmann, Gleason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Top 8 Web Sites
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:44:48 -0700

bigchalk's Top 8 Newsletter
Week of August 19 - August 25, 2002
http://www.bigchalk.com

Welcome to this week's installment of Top 8,
sponsored by OfficeMax.com: Back to School!
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/officemax02

Each week we bring you links to Web sites that
represent the very best online academic research
destinations.

*******************ADVERTISEMENT********************
Visit OfficeMax.com for guaranteed low prices on
your back-to-school needs. Don't miss special
offers like 10 Mead color folders for $1, new
low prices on select PDAs, HP printers starting
as low as $49.98 and Microsoft's latest
educational software, Microsoft Office XP for
Students & Teachers (only $129.99).  Plus,
OfficeMax.com has free shipping on orders over
$50. Visit OfficeMax.com today!
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/officemax02

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Insectclopedia
Biology > Zoology > Insects > Basics

2. New School Year: Health Topics
Supporting Students > Your Child's Health

3. The American Presidency: A Glorious Burden
United States Government > Executive Branch

4. PaPa iNk
Visual Arts > Painting & Drawing

5. Everyday Chemistry
Chemistry > Basics & Overviews

6. 9.11 Archive
A Changed World > September 11, 2001

ELEMENTARY SITES

7. State Quarter Craze
United States Government > Currency

8. Moon Illusion
Astronomy > Solar System > Moon

*****************ADVERTISEMENT*******************
Attention Teachers! Start Something is a free
ready-to-go curriculum that promotes character
development, leadership, and community stewarship
brought to you by Target and the Tiger Woods
Foundation. Click here to learn more:
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/targetstart02

THIS WEEK'S TOP 8 SITES

1. Insectclopedia
Biology > Zoology > Insects > Basics

Insects are all around us. From spiders to
butterflies, these beautiful and sometimes bizarre
creatures have fascinated and frightened humans for
millions of years. Insectclopedia is your gateway
to detailed online information about dozens of
insect species, plus tips for safely capturing,
collecting, raising and even eating (yuck!) your
favorite bugs. Lesson plans are just a click away.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023301

2. New School Year: Health Topics
Supporting Students > Your Child's Health

Stumped about which healthy lunch foods to send
to school with your kids? Worried that their
overloaded backpacks might hurt their backs? The
staff at KidsHealth offers this collection of
back-to-school articles to help you and your
children start the new year on the right foot.
Tips on staying safe on the bus, dealing with
bullies and understanding learning disabilities
are also available.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023302

3. The American Presidency: A Glorious Burden
United States Government > Executive Branch

Created by the Smithsonian's National Museum of
American History, this amazing exhibition offers
more than 900 artifacts that represent the lives
and times of America's 42 presidents. Use the
interactive time line to check out the top hat
worn by Abraham Lincoln the night of his
assassination, George Washington?s general
officer's uniform, Bill Clinton's saxophone and
Jimmy Carter's peanut bank. Guidance on using the
site with your class is provided.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023303

4. PaPa iNk
Visual Arts > Painting & Drawing

Around the world, refrigerators are jammed with
colorful works of art created by youngsters. Now
these drawings can be shared with the world and
preserved for future generations! Created as a
non-profit organization in 1999, the founders of
PaPa iNk believe that archiving and making widely
available digital reproductions of diverse holdings
of children's art heightens the value of these
holdings to society, educators, children and
artists themselves.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023304

5. Everyday Chemistry
Chemistry > Basics & Overviews

These online articles prove that chemistry is all
around us -- day in and day out. Whether we're
washing our hands, cooking our lunch or brewing a
pot of coffee (with the accompanying pleasant odor
of 2-furylmethanethiol), chemical reactions and
interactions help us get work done, harness energy
sources and more. These articles, written by a
chemistry professor, will help you better understand
these processes and conduct experiments to learn
about the scientific method.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023305

6. 9.11 Archive
A Changed World > September 11, 2001

"My Government class was where I heard the horrible
news that would shape the rest of my life." We all
know where we were the morning of September 11, 2001.
Many of us were at school as the day got under way.
Others were in their cars on their way to the office.
No matter where you were on 9.11, you have a tale to
tell. The September 11 Digital Archive is a central
digital repository that collects, preserves and
presents these stories, as told by individuals from
around the world. You and your students can add your
stories to the collection, read others, view video
and audio clips, study Weblogs, link to dozens of
related Web sites and more.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023306

ELEMENTARY SITES

7. State Quarter Craze
United States Government > Currency

Everybody's doing it! The state quarter craze has
taken over the nation and created millions of
numismatist's -- amateur coin collectors. This
kid-friendly site is full of interesting information
about each state, the designs chosen for each quarter,
the mints where they're being made and a schedule
for upcoming releases.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023307

8. Moon Illusion
Astronomy > Solar System > Moon

Have you ever looked at the moon and thought, "It's
HUGE!" When it's hanging low in the sky, the moon
tends to look larger than it does high overhead. In
reality, the distance between the Earth and the moon
changes very little -- so why the difference? Use
your mouse to drag a virtual moon online to see the
size illusion in action.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-023308

*******************ADVERTISEMENT********************
Let the AICPA help you show your students how
to make a difference -- one business at a time.
Click here to receive great teaching tools.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/cpas02

BIGCHALK CALENDAR

Back to School 2002

Prepare your students -- and yourself -- for the
educational, emotional and physical demands of the
new school year. bigchalk has everything you need
to go back to school! Start off on the right foot
-- check out our special resource pages for teachers,
students and parents. When you're finished browsing,
enter to win great prizes with bigchalk's Back to
School Blast.
Teachers: http://i.bigchalk.com/U/btsteachers
Students: http://i.bigchalk.com/U/btsstudents
Parents: http://i.bigchalk.com/U/btsparents
Contest: http://i.bigchalk.com/U/btscontest

COLLEGE ZONE

Read advice about getting into the college
of your choice from myFootpath's admissions
counselor in bigchalk's College Zone.

This week's question: "How can I prepare for
the standardized tests to do my best?"
Read the answer here...
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/czone01

BIGCHALK WEB SITE OF THE MONTH

The Long Walk of Nelson Mandela

August marks the 40th anniversary of the arrest of
Nelson Mandela, one of the 20th century's greatest
leaders. The Long Walk of Nelson Mandela, a Web
site created by the staff of PBS's "Frontline"
public-affairs series, strives to tell the story
of this revolutionary turned president through
intimate recollections with friends, allies,
adversaries and his fellow prisoners on Robben
Island where he spent 18 of his 27 prison years.
The site offers a collection of video clips, rare
photos, detailed articles, a chronology of his
life and more.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/aug02site

SEARCH BOX

Want an easy way to give students and parents
instant access to the Internet's largest, most
up-to-date directory of learning sites? Add a
free bigchalk search box to your Web pages.
Users can search our collection by keyword and
filter their query by grade level.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/bcsearchbx

*******************ADVERTISEMENT********************
Ready for a break from lesson planning and
grading assignments? Take a minute to enter
bigchalk's Back to School Blast! You could
win great prizes from OfficeMax.com, Adobe
and VeryBestKids.com.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/btscontest

Thank you for reading this week's Top 8 newsletter.

Be sure to preview each link and try any
included projects or experiments before
using them with your students. All Web
sites included in this publication are
subject to the bigchalk Linking Policy.
http://www.bigchalk.com/corp/linkpolicy.html

We offer several newsletters of interest to
students, parents, teachers and Web surfers.
To find out more, link to our newsletter
signup page today.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/signup8

To find out more about bigchalk, connect
to our Web site:
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/bchome8

Looking for an archive of all past Top 8
sites arranged by theme? Connect to the
Top 8 collection.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8c

If you have any questions or comments,