From: "bigchalk.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Sackmann, Gleason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 07:59:38 -0700
Subject: Top 8 Web Sites

bigchalk's Top 8 Newsletter
Week of July 8 - July 14, 2002
http://www.bigchalk.com

Welcome to this week's installment of Top 8,
sponsored by Start Something.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/targetstart02

Each week we bring you links to Web sites that
represent the very best online academic research
destinations.

*******************ADVERTISEMENT********************
Start Something is a program designed to help kids
from 8-17 discover their dreams and interests,
and take steps toward achieving them.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/targetstart02

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Backyard Jungle
Life Sciences > Biology > Ecology >
Biogeography > Biomes

2. What's That Stuff?
Physical Sciences > Chemistry

3. Animal Care Tips
Health > Veterinary Sciences

4. Teaching With Historic Places
Teaching Resources > Social Studies

5. BAM: Body & Mind
Physical Education & Sports > Fitness

6. Bigger Than Enron
Business > Accounting

ELEMENTARY SITES

7. Smithsonian Kids: Collecting
Student Resources > Things to Do > Collecting

8. Congress for Kids
U.S. Government > Basics & Overviews for Kids

*****************ADVERTISEMENT*******************
Let the AICPA help you show your students how
to make a difference -- one business at a time.
Click here to receive great teaching tools.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/cpas02

THIS WEEK'S TOP 8 SITES

1. Backyard Jungle
Life Sciences > Biology > Ecology >
Biogeography > Biomes

This site challenges your kids to answer one
simple question: "What's in your backyard?"
Here they can upload photos, drawings, maps
and descriptions about the natural surroundings
where they live, then share their special spot
with others worldwide. Find something
particularly interesting? Kids can update
their data with information about a "discovery"
-- from animals (alive or dead!) to unique
weather conditions -- anytime. The better the
backyard, the more votes they'll get!
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-022701

2. What's That Stuff?
Physical Sciences > Chemistry

What makes fireworks light up the night sky?
How do self-tanning creams give your skin a
healthy glow? Just what is Cheese Whiz made of
anyway? The staff at "Chemical & Engineering
News" analyzed the chemical composition and
manufacture of more than 20 everyday products
and materials to create this amazing site.
Each detailed essay spills the beans on how
each item harnesses the power of one or more
chemicals to clean our homes, whiten our
teeth, clean our hair and pave our roads.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-022702

3. Animal Care Tips
Health > Veterinary Sciences

This summer, thousands of families will
welcome a new dog or cat into their homes. If
you're one of them, this excellent site --
maintained by the American Veterinary Medical
Association -- will help you select the perfect
pet, learn the importance of training and become
the best pet parent around! Fun animated journeys
for kids dispense this information in a way all
youngsters can easily understand. Worksheets
and special activities are available in the
Kids Corner.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-022703

4. Teaching With Historic Places
Teaching Resources > Social Studies

Before you pack up the car this summer and head
out to a national park or historic location,
check out the learning materials offered here.
The lessons will turn your kids into young
historians as they study primary sources,
historical and modern photographs, maps, and
other documents. They'll love learning about
the past by gathering information at your
vacation destination, building their own bridge
from the past to the present.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-022704

5. BAM: Body & Mind
Physical Education & Sports > Fitness

BAM is a new e-zine for kids that answers their
questions about today's health issues, plus
recommends ways to make their bodies and minds
healthier and stronger.  Teachers will love the
site's interactive learning activities related
to middle-school health and science. The current
issue focuses on physical activity and how
infectious disease, asthma, safety, disability
are all related to exercise. Find out more.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-022705

6. Bigger Than Enron
Business > Accounting

In the months following Enron's implosion, a
seemingly relentless string of disclosures of
questionable bookkeeping at a number of big
companies has badly shaken confidence in the
stock market. In "Bigger Than Enron," PBS
explains how corporate watchdogs -- bankers,
lawyers, regulators, politicians, and
accountants -- all failed to prevent Enron
and other scandals from occurring. Find out
why Congress may have set the stage for the
scandals by weakening protections and tying
the hands of regulators in the 1990's.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-022706

ELEMENTARY SITES

7. Smithsonian Kids: Collecting
Student Resources > Things to Do > Collecting

This fun destination invites kids to start a
collection of rocks, shells, postcards, posters,
or something else that interests them! Three
Smithsonian collections are available, including
Rocks & Minerals, highlighting the Hope Diamond;
Stamps, featuring Western Cattle in Storm (1898);
and Historic Coins, offering the Jefferson Indian
Peace Medal. Short video clips feature collectors
who seek out everything from jewelry to turtles,
lunch boxes and more.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-022707

8. Congress for Kids
U.S. Government > Basics & Overviews for Kids

Does your son or daughter want to be a senator
when they grow up? This site gives kids access
to interactive, fun-filled experiences to help
them learn about the foundation of our government
and how its actions ultimately affect them. Start
with a virtual tour of Congress and move on to
more detailed information.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8-022708

*******************ADVERTISEMENT********************
You've got one life. Make it count!
Check out the Life Accelerator at navy.com.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/navylife02

BIGCHALK CALENDAR

Web Site Design Week

This week, roll up your sleeves and learn how to
design a Web site. All it takes is a few hours,
some basic knowledge, and these links from
bigchalk. Be sure to read the HTML style guide
and connect to the Web development tutorials.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/designweek

BIGCHALK WEB SITE OF THE MONTH

The Charters of Freedom:
The Declaration of Independence

In the spring of 1776, Thomas Paine's pamphlet
"Common Sense" had people talking. Suddenly the idea
of colonial independence was gaining momentum from
Boston to Philadelphia and beyond. Several months
later, Ben Franklin and the members of a Committee
of Five chose Thomas Jefferson to draft the document
that would declare the United Colonies free and
independent States. Pick up the story at the National
Archives and Records Administration's special Web
site as all eyes turn to America this month to
celebrate Independence Day. Read the complete
Declaration of Independence then browse first-hand
accounts of what happened in Philadelphia during the
creation of the United States of America.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/july02site

COLLEGE ZONE

Read advice from myFootpath's admissions counselor
in bigchalk's College Zone: "I was not accepted to
the college of my choice because my GPA was not
high enough. What should I do?"
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/czone01

SEARCH BOX

Want an easy way to give students and parents
instant access to the Internet's largest, most
up-to-date directory of learning sites? Add a
free bigchalk search box to your Web pages.
Users can search our collection by keyword and
filter their query by grade level.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/bcsearchbx

*******************ADVERTISEMENT********************
bigchalk Home Library:
A library of the world's best publications
on your desktop.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/bchomelib02

Thank you for reading this week's Top 8 newsletter.

Be sure to preview each link and try any
included projects or experiments before
using them with your students. All Web
sites included in this publication are
subject to the bigchalk Linking Policy.
http://www.bigchalk.com/corp/linkpolicy.html

We offer several newsletters of interest to
students, parents, teachers and Web surfers.
To find out more, link to our newsletter
signup page today.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/signup8

To find out more about bigchalk, connect
to our Web site:
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/bchome8

Looking for an archive of all past Top 8
sites arranged by theme? Connect to the
Top 8 collection.
http://i.bigchalk.com/U/8c

If you have any questions or comments,