I was just reading an article about converting a Type 1 Beetle engine to
a Type 4 setup, and they cite the difference in weight to be about 26
pounds, assuming everything else is equal.  I think GPASC calls the Type
1 160 pounds, but that doesn't include the exhaust system (not sure
about the hub) so that would still be under 200 pounds.  By contrast, I
weighed my Corvair with "everything but electrons in the wires and fuel
in the lines", including exhaust, hub, plug wires, plenums, everything,
and it was right at 245 pounds.  Some folks call the Corvair a 220 pound
engine, but it all depends on what you count, and what the basic engine
includes (starter, hub, exhaust, hub, alternator), all of which was
included in my original Corvair weight estimate.

See http://www.superbeetles.com/Tech_talk/jan2.htm for some interesting
stuff on Type 4s, and cooling in general for VW engines.  There's a lot
out there to read about Type 1's and 4's both...enough to keep your
average person busy for a year, I'll bet.  I'm going to give that up for
the day though, and do my best to clean off my workbench, since it's too
icy to even walk outside...

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
http://www.n56ml.com