Increased cooling sounds necessary to Orma's setup.

I have never seen advanced timing cause overheating. Pre-ignition yes, but
not overheating. Retarded timing will cause overheating.

Orma I would also think about increasing the size of your oil reservior/oil
pan.  Especially since more than likely your turbo now shares that, and our
VW engines it is still responsible for something like 75% of the cooling. I
would also keep my inlet ports the SAME size and enlarge the EXIT to create
more of a vacuum effect to draw in additional air and improve your heat
exchange.  Also think about some auxilary NACA ducts to flow cooling air
separate from the cooling ports thru the cowling area to remove exhaust and
othe engine heat.

Colin & Bev Rainey
KR2(td) N96TA
Sanford, FL