OK Netters
Here is the final read in the "When she's hot she's hot" saga.  There are
baffels and there are baffels.  Once I relocated the rear baffle of the #3
cylinder, the temp never went up.  I put her in the pattern this morning and
continued to make 3 take off and taxi backs to the takeoff position.  I did
not have to power back or make shallow climbs.  On climb out, the temp
stayed lower then 350.  That was measured on top of the plug hole.  After
seeing this drastic change in temps, I would have to say that if your CHT
exceeds 400, start looking for the cause.  As I have not used much boost, I
expect that the temp will go up some as I squeez for more power.  The oil
temp did climb to 210 by the time I finished the 3 takeoff's.  It is lucky
that the engine can withstand all the higher temps that I put it through
while trying to resolve the problem.  It may be correct that on top of the
plug is a poor location, but there is no need for the temp to sky rocket if
the baffling is installed correct.
Any way so ends my saga and now my hopes for making it to the gathering look
a lot brighter.
Oh by the way, the engine opened up after I leveled off at pattern altitude.
With the waste gate closed, the engine ran 3300 with a MP of 31.  If this is
repeated on the next few flights, I will be forced to use more pitch on the
IVO prop.  The next flight I may leave the pattern and see what kind of
speed the KR does.  Some time over the course of the next 9 days I will also
start adding sand bags to test for gross weight takeoffs.
Orma L. Robbins
A&P/IA
KR-2 N110LR
Southfield, MI