Colin wrote:

> Orma I would also think about increasing the size of your oil
reservior/oil
> pan.  Especially since more than likely your turbo now shares that, and
our
> VW engines it is still responsible for something like 75% of the cooling.

Increasing the amount of oil in the system will only delay the warmup up the
oil, which is not necessarily a good thing, since a lot of engine wear
occurs during the first few minutes while the oil is still cold.  Merely
increasing oil pan size doesn't help unless there's a lot of cooling air
directly right at the oil pan, and even then it won't help much because the
oil in the pan is stratified, keeping heat transfer from the oil at the
outside of the pan from effectively transferring to the oil that is being
sucked into the pickup.  The best way to cool the oil is through a larger
oil cooler, and/or put more air through the cooler.  Other than adding more
weight, extra oil capacity will only give you a less of a chance of sucking
air in an uncoordinated turn (which is apparently not a problem), or another
couple of minutes of run time if you develop a leak, but it will not lead to
a decreased steady-state oil temperature.  But unfortunately, it won't do
you any good in the case of a leak, because you probably won't know you have
a leak until your oil pressure gauge drops, your oil light comes on, or the
rods start knocking.

>  Also think about some auxilary NACA ducts to flow cooling air
> separate from the cooling ports thru the cowling area to remove exhaust
and
> othe engine heat.

Consider that if you introduce air into the bottom of the cowling, it might
have the opposite effect from what you want.  If you pressurize the bottom
of the cowling, you raise the pressure underneath the cylinders and heads,
thereby discouraging flow from the top of the cowling (the baffled area) to
bottom.  The only inlet I'd add to the cowling other than the cooling air
inlets that lead to the top of the engine would be a separate isolated
intake that feeds the carburetor.

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
see KR2S project at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford