At 09:39 PM 2/15/2010, you wrote:

>Hey Guy's, I finally have the wings covered with foam and am looking
>forward to glassing them asap(which is always a month longer than I
>had planned.) Is peel ply the way to go for a slick finish and why
>is there not a good web site for the cosmetics on the KR ?
>Mike Sylvester
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A "slick" finish will depend on the amount of fill and sand and the
paint you use.  Getting it as light as possible and with the least
amount of work starts with doing a good job sanding the foam.  If you
don't get the foam right you're just a dog chasing it's tail the rest
of the way.

If you get the foam as "perfect" as possible the KR cloth will wet
out to a contour that requires the least amount of fill and
sanding.  What I did, and what I recommend, is when the KR cloth is
wetted out, cover the entire wing with "deck cloth", a 1.5 ounce
glass.  It has a finish like a nylon stocking and requires very
little fill.  If it is applied while the KR cloth is still wet, it
will soak up excess resin from below and require very little
additional resin to wet out.  The "deck cloth" from Wick's is wide
enough to cover the entire wing in one piece.  Just lay in on, dry
brush and tug at the edges to remove all wrinkles and finally, brush
on any additional resin required to wet it out.  I'm convinced the
few ounce of weight you're adding per wing is equal to or less than
the amount of fill required to fill the weave on the KR cloth and
you're doing it with a lot less work, not to mention the extra
strength the glass adds.

If you plan to do the wing glass lay up as a one man operation, I
suggest you do the "hard shell" process that has been discussed on
the net several times in the past.  To "hard shell" you simply seal
the foam with an epoxy / micro slurry and let it cure.  Do a light
sanding, one or two  swipes with some sand paper to remove any
prickles that tend to snag the glass if you slide it around on the
foam, then do the glass lay up as usual.  The glass to foam bond is
just as strong as doing the entire process in a single
operation.  Sealing the foam takes some time and remember, you're
dealing with cure time of the epoxy.  Making it a two step process
made the operation a lot easier for me.  Try making two small test
blocks using each process and, when cured, peal off the glass.  See
if you can tell any difference on the bond.

The critical part of the process is the glass to spar bond.  Make
sure the spar wood is clean and ready to soak in as much pure resin
as possible.  That's one area you don't want a "dry lay up".

Get the foam right and the rest is a down hill slide.

Good luck........

Larry Flesner