Has anyone tried to use a Chevy belt driven vacuum pump ?  They are readily
available, reliable and reasonably compact.  They were used on the Chevy
pickups with the 6.2 litter diesel engines.   I put well over a 100K miles
on one with no problems.  They could be belt driven or a coupler could be
easily made to drive them direct.  Just a thought.