Mark Wegmet wrote:

> What do you think is the best approach to doing this? The spars I have are
> extraordinarily well built... they are complete, including the "weep"
> holes
> for vacuum relief in the mahogany. Should I "cap" them fully, in other
> words
> over the mahogany facings on the spars, or should I just cap the main
> spruce
> spar material?
> Any input from anyone who has done this, or has built the new spars from
> scratch would be appreciated.

Sure, you can use the new airfoil with stock spars.  There's a set of
templates made for exactly that.   And you can use the stock tail "as is".
The set for that is at http://www.krnet.org/as504x/as5046_00_600.pdf.
There's more info on the options at
http://www.krnet.org/as504x/templates.html .  There's no need to "cap" the
facings with anything at all, so your weep holes are safe.  I wouldn't call
weep holes extraordinary.  It's in the plans, and spars without them might
be extraordinary.  You might need a thin layer of spruce on TOP of the spars
as a new surface to match the airfoil perfectlly, and the only secret there
would be to gradually taper the additional spar material inside the fuselage
so there is no sudden discontinuity with the rest of the spar, which would
create a stress riser.

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com