I talked to a hot shot NASA Aeronautical Engineer some years back who had been
involved heavily in studying and testing different wing shapes on real
airplanes. He said if your airplane design would not exceed 250 miles per hour
that tapering a wing might look cool but it gained you absolutely nothing. He
said you may as well make it easy on yourself and build a CONSTANT CHORD WING
AIRPLANE. While we can dream and wish, guys like him actually had our tax
dollars and lots of people on their teams to actually go and do this testing.
I know why all the early models if not all Vans aircraft models have a
rectangular constant chord wing, easy to make parts!

He also talked about drag in the engine compartment. I do not remember the
percentage now but the largest drag on a piston powered airplane, probably all
others as well is in the engine compartment. Figure out a way to move the
engine
cooling air through the engine compartment less draggy and more efficiently and
you will use less fuel for same speed or go faster.

Larry Howell