We seem to have offended the appliance gods, since all our appliances are
dying at once. I have been poring over consumer reports, and internet
reviews of  dishwashers and I am now terrified of buying one that either bursts
into flames  or does not clean the dishes. It would appear that recent
advances in energy and  water savings in the US have rendered dishwashers less
effective in their  primary purpose. Also, there is a  micro-processor in every
appliance made  in the US, and the micro-processors break when they get hot,
which seems to be  quite likely and quite common in a dishwasher or oven,
leading to  expensive repairs. I have just replaced my oven with a GE Profile
 model, and I almost had a coronary when I was told by the  installer that
I could expect 5-8 years of service from it. The appliances  that are being
replaced are thirty years old, and it was not my intention to  have to
replace all major appliances twice a decade.
Since many of the people who are reporting their appliance experiences on
the internet are people who are having the worst possible experiences, which
 skews the information, I thought I should ask the list if there is anyone
who  has had a good or bad experience with a dishwasher purchased in the
last 5 years  or so. How I long for my old style appliances that lasted
forever, but that is  now a bygone era. What is the best dishwasher brand now,
wonder.
Devon