I will need to shop for a dishwasher soon.  I'm having one built in and cannot
use my current portable because it's not standard size.

We bought a dishwasher about 1970 and used it about 30 years when it gave out.
It was repaired once in that time.  Much later I was told that dealers expected
that model to last about 8 years.  I guess that it lasted longer for us because
I run it once a week rather than every day.  Because of limited space in my
kitchen, I replaced it with an 18 inch wide model which held enough dishes for
the two of us yet let me access a cupboard without moving the dishwasher.

The new built in dishwasher needs to be standard size so it can be easily
replaced when needed in the future.  Your comments on different kinds is of
interest to me.

My old dishwasher was a Sears (Kenmore) model so we replaced it with another
Sears. That's the only brand I've used.  However, I know that Sears contracts
its appliances from other brands so they could actually be GE or something else.

Alice in Oregon ... where 2/3 of my new driveway was poured yesterday and looks
really nice.  The front section will be next week, weather permitting but rain
is forecast for the next five days.  Hopefully, it will be light showers so
work can continue.  I look forward to the dirt piles being gone -- they did
promise to clean up the whole mess.  It's a very expensive Christmas present
for DH but he will love it.