We replaced our dishwasher a couple of years ago as well, and after researching ratings purchased a Kenmore which is actually a Bosch. It has performed well even on the 'quick wash' setting and the dishes and especially glassware are spotless (partly because it reminds you when it is low on Jet-Dry or similar agent which prevents water spots). It does not have a heat element and dries the dishes using the residual heat generated from the hot water used in cleaning. That took a little gettng used to, but we appreciate that it no doubt lowers energy use and thus operating cost as well. The dishwasher it replaced was an Amana, which was over 20 years old (it was here when we bought the house). The only thing wrong with the Amana was that the door spring broke and the door would fall open unless locked shut. We decided that considering its age, we would replace it rather than trying to get it repaired...however, I expect it might have continued to work for some time. We, too, run it only once or twice a week, so it does not get heavy use, and we rinse everything before putting it in the dishwasher. Someone mentioned Kitchen-Aid...we bought a Kitchen-Aid fridge when we moved in which is now almost 21 years old and (knock wood) it has performed perfectly so I would expect any Kitchen-Aid product to live up to its reputation too. As Devon said, things change so I would follow current recommendations of Consumers Reports and online ratings such as those found on ePinions, etc.

Vicki in autumny Maryland....where a red fox was curled up asleep in our backyard this morning in a decidedly 'unrural' area...a tap on the window jolted it awake and it ran off, hopefully assuring us that it was not rabid...amazing how many wild things there are in very urban areas....

Alice in Oregon wrote:

My old dishwasher was a Sears (Kenmore) model so we replaced it with another Sears. That's the only brand I've used. However, I know that Sears contracts its appliances from other brands so they could actually be GE or something else.