At the annual convention of the Australian Lace Guild, we have workshops which
run from 9.30 a.m. - 3.30 p.m. each day, with a 20 minute break for a
morning-tea cuppa, and an hour for lunch.   Workshops are usually either 2
and/or 4 days, depending on the subject.

On Saturday morning, we have our Annual General Meeting, then in the afternoon,
it's time for vendors.  There are no vendors during the week - only on Saturday
afternoon.

Wednesday is a free day - and the committee usually organise an optional bus
trip to a local place or places of interest, which is very much appreciated by
the people who live in other states.

This all seems to work very well - I've never heard complaints about the
timetable, and it can mean, as Betty said, that someone who wants to do a
workshop on Monday/Tuesday has to hang around till Saturday for the AGM and
final dinner.  I was in this position myself a few years ago, and I just took a
pillow and sat in the back of a workshop making my own lace.  We also get a
small influx of new people on the Thursday/Friday, who've just come for a
shortened convention.

We usually try to have the convention in accommodation such as university
colleges (our convention is held in the holiday period) or similar - which
helps limit the cost.  The exception was when the Tasmanian Branch of the Guild
organised the AGM - there we held the convention in a hotel due to lack of
other suitable accommodation.

Ruth Budge (Sydney, Australia)

"Panza, Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >>>From: Clay Blackwell
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I also have never seen the limits on the vendor rooms either...if you take a
short class, you can only go in on the day of your class!! <<<

This seems poorly thought out to me. If I'm taking class all day, that
doesn't leave much time to shop! I'd want to have an extra day before or
after my class day(s) to shop. I wonder if the committee can be persuaded
to relax this rule, at least. Can't people who enroll in shorter classes
have one extra day to shop as part of their package?

I think I understand the commuter fee. Convention hotels provide meeting
rooms and support (cleaning, setting up tables, water/glasses, etc.) on the
assumption they're being used by people paying for sleeping rooms. Yes,
there's a significant fee for the use of each meeting room, but it's still
partly subsidized by the registration of sleeping guests. If people sleep
at home or at some nearby cheap motel, the convention hotel isn't getting
its "fair share" (from the hotel's point of view) of revenue for the meeting
rooms it's providing. It may be that there are more than the usual number
of cheap motels near this year's convention, and the committee is worried
about getting enough registration at the convention hotel to cover the
meeting room fees. The committee may have imposed the commuter fee to help
pay for meeting rooms that will be used by people the committee expects will
find cheaper housing.

just my opinion,
Robin P.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA