I'm back from the IOLI Lace Convention.  I have to say, anybody who didn't
go missed a wonderful time.  It was great being able to have a single class
all day instead of having to bring twice as much equipment and switch
between techniques every day.  Sure, there were a few glitches, but no more
than any other convention I've been to (IOLI or other).  I hope the Denver
(and future) committees are able to duplicate the mailboxes and
newsletters--they were so handy, both to get info and to contact each other.
We were well fed with an opening reception/dinner, the Taste of PA dinner,
afternoon breaks with fresh-baked cookies and fresh fruit, breakfast buffet
two mornings, pie and cake at the Thursday night "IOLI-O" (aka Bingo) games,
and of course the banquet.  Another innovation was having music before and,
for a short while, during the banquet.  The banquet show (Amazing Amos, the
world's foremost Amish illusionist) was the most entertaining entertainment
in a long time.  However, he was upstaged by Liz Bartlett and Greet.  IOLI-O
was a lot of fun, too, but I'm biased--I won 4 games.

I was there all week--Sunday to Sunday--and now I'm exhausted and broke.
But I learned a whole lot and now have *two* new hobbies--oh no!  I took
glass beadmaking and all of us in the class came away with beads we're happy
with.  A few of us also came away with complete kits, to continue the fun.
The other new hobby came from the teachers' showcase Tuesday night, Lier
(tambour).  All the tambour I'd seen before ranged from dull to ugly, IMO.
I was quite surprised to see such beautiful work, so much so that I bought
the supplies to try it myself.  The beginner's sampler was gorgeous, and
Greet's work spectacular!

Of course, there were plenty of beautiful bobbins and shuttles and threads
and books and antique laces for sale.  Also some new toys.  I got the
fold-up plexiglass bobbin tree from Torchon House, the people who make the
fold-up plexiglass bobbin winder.  Also an adaptor for their bobbin winder,
to take continental bobbins.  Lacy Susan had an alternative to the green
plastic horseshoe for keeping threads away from the pins on motif laces.
It's two rings made of clear, soft tubing, the ends held together with a
small plug.  You can use either the small ring, or the large ring, or put
them together for a really large ring, or even lay one down "unplugged" so
it forms a horseshoe.  It's thicker than the green plastic horseshoe, so it
does pull the lace up off the pricking if you're not careful, but it packs a
lot easier than the horseshoe, since the tubing can be straightened.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I sure had a good time and I'm so glad I
was able to go.

Robin P.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
http://www.pittsburghlace.8m.com/