Guys,

Had a word with other half about lace pillows and hand luggage.  Now
that he has actually seen one, he knows what I'm talking about.

OK, so, question was, when he was security at Adelaide Airport (which
was upto last week) would I have been allowed to bring my lace equipment
through as hand luggage?

Answer - empty pillow - yes.  bobbins - yes.  Everything else - no.

Pins, scissors etc no way - they would have to go into the main luggage
in the hold.

He said that whilst you could make arrangement with the airline to take
it, it would be very unlikely that they would allow it through security.

This means that at least you would be turned back when you went to fly
out - or you could get all the way to your destination and be refused to
bring it in - or worse still, be about to return home and be refused.

He said that whilst this may be partly ignorance of what the equipment
was, mainly it was simply down to the fact that pins and needles were
not allowed as hand luggage - don't even ask about your scissors!

I understand that this is the same situation in the UK for domestic and
international flights.

Hope this helps

Liz