At 11:39 AM 5/27/2004, you wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for all the advice on how to prevent my prickings from staining
the lace.  I got some waterproof pens and will try them out soon.  As
for the plastic, do you know where I could get it?

The simplest thing to get would be transparent Contac Paper -- found in the household section of department stores -- used for shelf lining. Since this is clear, it works well for projects using colored thread.

To get the light blue film that many lacemakers like, you would have to mail order it from a lace supplier. I think it is made only in Europe. This is a favorite for white thread projects.

A mostly transparent adhesive paper can be found in the office supply section of many stores, used for covering books. I find it most often in late summer in the 'back to school' supplies in the local Dollar Store. This comes is a variety of (bright) colors and is removable, so you have to tape the outside edge to your backing paper to be sure it doesn't pull off. I use this for one-time-only projects if I'm using white thread. Be warned -- the colors were not designed for making lace on them, but more for kids. However, they do work if you can stand the color. <G>

An alternate method for getting a colored pattern is to copy the pattern on colored paper, then cover it with the transparent Contac Paper.

Try to have all markings on the pattern before covering it with transparent adhesive. If you just *have to* add a marking on top of the adhesive, put a piece of transparent tape over it so it cannot rub off on the threads. Even permanent ink does not like to stay on top of the adhesive paper.

Happy lacing,
Alice in Oregon -- on a very rainy day