Just found this, and I've never heard of it before: can anyone verify it?

<snip>

Under 'June', she collects wedding traditions, and there is a piece about the contents of the bride chest - apart from the usual linens and so on. "In their marriage-chests, or 'bride-wains', many girls in medieval Britain kept lucky lace-making bobbins carved from bones from successful past wedding feasts they'd attended."

I can't verify it - but I'm doubtful. Like Linda, I'd like to see the source. And if the source is dated after medieval times, I'd like to see the source's source.

Never mind that there's little evidence that bobbin lacemaking even existed in medieval times, I just can't see it being a normal thing for the kitchen staff to field several, if not many, requests from women at the feast for portions of the bones to take home to make into bobbins. And surely if it were so we would have read about this tradition in lace history books.

I say bah, humbug!

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)