I'm going to pick and choose a few questions to comment on, but first some
gratuitous advice.  I started lacemaking on my own from books.  The best bit
of advice I got was join the national guild immediately.  Access to the
library in the first year was worth the joining fee several times over, and
was more useful in that year than any since.  Someone will be along soon to
give you details of the Australian Lace Guild.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:55:29 +0800, Jenny wrote:
>How many bobbins should I buy?
Depends how convinced you are that you will like bobbin lace, and how hard
it is for you to get supplies.  I made my first bandage strip using crochet
thread wrapped around clothes pegs pinned into a cork floor tile.  This was
enough to convince me I was going to like it, so I bought 100 bobbins which
was enough for a lot more patterns than 30 would be.  The danger with this
approach is buying a type of bobbin which you later find isn't your
favourite; the advantage is having a set of matching bobbins which feels
good to work with.

>Should I jump in and start with a lace pattern I like the look of and learn
>the technique as I go? (that is how I usually learn a new craft)
I'm well known round here for the why start at the beginning when there's a
perfectly good middle to jump into approach, but even I would say no to
that.  Find a pattern you like the look of, find a book on that technique,
but do some of the beginner patterns from a general introduction first.  I
managed to restrain myself from jumping into my preferred lace,
Bedfordshire, for  a couple of weeks while I learnt the basics and I'd
recommend you do the same.

>          Divider pins (can I use sewing pins?)
Not essential, some lacemakers don't use them.

>          Pricking card
Glazed pricking card is more pleasant to work on than odd bits of card from
anywhere, so I'd say yes.  Be aware that using card in the traditional way
means pinning a copy of the pricking (pattern) on the card and pricking
holes through it, which is slower than putting sticky plastic over a
photocopy.

>          thread - can I use crochet cotton?
Yes to start, but it is shinier and more tightly twisted than is ideal for
lace.  When you've got your book, get the thread you need for the patterns
in it.

>          cover cloth - what colour, fabric
Something non-fluffy.  Any colour you like, as this covers the entire pillow
and bobbins when you aren't working on it.

>          working cloth - what is it?
Start with the pillow, pin the pricking on it, then put the working cloth
over the lower part of the pricking and pillow.  The working cloth should be
visually non-distracting and a contrast to your thread, so usually a plain
dark colour.  The surface can be a bit grabby to stop bobbins rolling - I
have one in velvet - or smooth as you prefer.  The absolute must is colour
fastness, otherwise your threads will unevenly pick up the working cloth
colour.

>          fishing tackle pliers
Hackle pliers.  See here on my web site:
http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/bobbinlace/hackle.htm
Not really a must have to start with.

>          good how to book/s
See the collected views of this list on my web site:
http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/bobbinlace/begbook.htm

>I live in Kununurra, a small isolated country town and am 11 hours drive
>from the nearest city - which is Darwin.
Now that really is isolated. I believe there are some lacemakers in Darwin.

--
If we are to gain any measure of respect from visiting aliens, then we must
allow,and encourage our citizens, to be themselves, and not mould them,

Scanned by WinProxy
http://www.Ositis.com/