When I did my tape lace wall hanging in heavy, slubbed weaving linen, I used
tapestry bobbins which I purchased from Ashfords, a New Zealand company who
have an agent close to Cooma.  They are about 7 inches long and look
somewhat like an overgrown Honiton bobbin, with a longer neck and more
bulbous body, tapering to a point.   They held a lot of thread.  A Google
search of "tapestry bobbins" turned up a wide range of USA suppliers.

Noelene in Cooma
[EMAIL PROTECTED]