On 3/31/07, Tamara P Duvall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
This is a question for those of you who have made things like Bobbin
Lace scarves and belts/sashes. Since the thread/yarn for those is
likely to be thicker than usual, did you use bobbins that are larger
than "normal", or did you just re-fill your everyday bobbins more
frequently?

IMO refilling often is counterproductive for those projects that use
larger thread/yarn. When I make something like that, I take the time
to sample first to get a good estimate of the length needed per
bobbin, if not for the complete length/project, enough to know that
refilling won't be that often.

For packaging, I use the largest bobbins I have and overfill them if
necessary - winding onto the bottom part of the bobbin and back to the
usual winding area.
My favourite for this purpose are the Spanish bobbins because they are
mostly plain, nothing sticking out that would likely catch threads.
Any bobbin with generous thread-winding area (shank? neck?) would do -
I have quite a few of a style made at one time by a bobbin turner in
Vancouver BC,  a  Mr. LeGrande. I've used these bobbins for everything
from Buckspoint to scarves (they work best for Torchon though <g>).

My present project underway with larger thread on these bobbins is
silk, which packs impressively. You can get a lot of silk onto a
bobbin. I don't hitch around the head, rather I put the hitch on the
winding area.

HTH

--
Bev in Sooke BC (on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)