On 3/31/07, Tamara P Duvall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is a question for those of you who have made things like Bobbin
> Lace scarves and belts/sashes. Since the thread/yarn for those is
> likely to be thicker than usual, did you use bobbins that are larger
> than "normal", or did you just re-fill your everyday bobbins more
> frequently?

We just had this discussion this week at my lace group.  I did a workshop at
convention making a yarn scarf.  I used regular continental bobbins and wound
on as much as I could.  Unfortunately the hitch kept burying itself in the yarn
and that was a nuisance, especially as the yarn was a bit fluffy.  I think
mohair might be a nightmare.

I came home and bought bamboo skewers and pony beads intending to make my own
bobbins.  A bead at the top for the hitch and a number of beads at the bottom
for weight and handling.  I even bought some long bone beads for the bottoms.
Never got round to it.  We decided you could try using thin dowel as the
skewers might be too thin and try to get glass pony beads for weight.  I also
thought that knitting needles might work, especially the nice wooden ones
available in the US, but that would probably be more expensive than the dowel.
One tip, if you do decide to use yarn, be careful about not doing too tight an
edge stitch as when my scarf came off the pillow, it tended to 'cup' rather
than lying flat, even after it had been blocked.  I think I must have tensioned
too hard at the end of each row!

We visited a few yarn shops in Wisconsin this week and there are some really
nice thick silky cottons for sale which might be better to use than yarn.

Janice

Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA
http://jblace.wordpress.com/
http://www.lacemakersofillinois.org/