Carolyn,

Nice topic for those that are not at convention.  Last Saturday my wife and
I took a shift at watching the community building at the county fair.
Thanks goodness it is air conditioned!!!  This midwest heat and humidity is
unbearable.  Of course we can't just sit there looking at people and
twiddling our thumbs.  We always bring projects to work on.  And of course
it sparks conversation.  I brought my roller pillow that had a bit of lace
started.  It is Doris Southard's Bells edging pattern out of her "Lessons in
Bobbin Lacemaking" page 77.  I am making a few yards of this to be used as
trimming on some period dresses that my wife will be making soon for the
staff at the Vandalia State House(1836-39 when Lincoln was a statesman).  We
demonstrate every year at their Grande LeVee and thought it would be nice to
have the staff decked out in handmade lace :)

Just last night we took another shift at the comm. Bldg and I didn't have
that roller pillow with me.  So grabbed another project yet to be finished.
It is a Hungarian tape lace doily and I am working it on a bolster pillow.
Had to switch gears on handling the bobbins. ;)  I had half of it done
before we sat and after the long sit in the bldg I have just one corner to
do before it is finish!

But I must say that I am totally NOT going to IOLI convention.  We are
meeting a family friend who I just recently taught bobbin lace(my first
experience at teaching it as well) and she is coming from the Chicago area.
We are meeting halfway(almost) to Rockford, IL and I thought that the
convention would be a great opportunity to expose her to what lace and
lacemakers have to offer.  Plus she can see first hand others working lace
and go to the vendor room to get some good supplies.  I am excited for her
and also for us that we get this opportunity!  We don't get to go to
conventions hardly ever.  So this will be a nice treat.  But will only last
for that one day.  Then I have to be back to work for the rest of the week.
:(

David,
You are in Nunsense?  What part you play?  I had the opportunity two years
ago to  make all the habits and work on the set construction.  The High
School teachers put the play on.  It was much fun!

Happy Lacing!!

Mark, aka Tatman (dodging from A/C building to A/C building in this
smoldering heat in Greenville, IL USA)
My website:  www.tat-man.net
My blog:  www.tat-man.net/blog