In message <5c3e2d9a-e7c6-40da-9a14-d7167a637...@duckles.co.uk>, Sue Duckles <s...@duckles.co.uk> writes
I'll have to dig out an unspangled bone and the aluminium one and
weigh them.... see if there is a difference, or they're the same....
mind you, different makers bobbins can be different weights, thinking
of the shapes and sizes!  It's probably so little that it doesn't
matter... milligrams probably!

The aluminium bobbins I have are very light, as aluminium is a lightweight metal. Meanwhile, I have bone bobbins that are far heavier than any of my wooden ones (which is why I rarely use them) - the exception being small antique ones that are almost travel bobbin size. Having one of the ebony and silver bobbins that were produced for The Lace Guild's 25th anniversary, I could understand silver or brass bobbins being comparable in weight to bone, but not aluminium, it is the lightest of the three!

If you have bobbins of more than one type and weight, it probably makes sense to separate them and use them according to the thread - thicker threads will need heavier bobbins, finer threads lighter ones. You can even out the weight in some respect by the spangles, but using a very light (eg plastic) spangle on a heavy bobbin will result in an unbalanced bobbin, and will be just as annoying in use!

Where spangles are concerned, I hate dangly bits (including the teardrop beads sometimes used as "bottom beads") and use beads made from glass, semi-precious stone or ceramics, sometimes with metal beads for spacers. I went through a phase of using glass beads shaped as cats as bottom beads, as I liked the beads - in practice, they caught on everything and were more of a pain than our three real ones! I haven't re-spangled the bobbins, they just rarely see the outside of the case they are in
--
Jane Partridge