I'm not claiming to have more experience than you, Lesley, but I will share my thoughts anyway! When I'm working a project, I'm not watching the bobbins, I'm watching the work. So I pick up all bobbins the same. If it's larger and heavier than the others, I may fumble it. If it's lightweight, or significantly smaller, I may treat it (and the thread attached) too aggressively, affecting the tension. When I work with Binche bobbins, I've finally decided that they all need to be the same type Binche bobbin on a project. Maybe I'm being obsessive/compulsive (and yes, I have this tendency!), but that's just the way it works best for me. I have two different types of Binche bobbin, one which is slightly larger and heavier than the other. I like both types, but don't mix them.

I think with my Midlands, there is more lattitude. But since the bobbins are mostly shaped the same, and have spangles that are consistent in size (my OCD again??), I don't have as much trouble with differences. I have a large project on a pillow right now that must have four or five different types of bobbins on it. I'm not enjoying this, because I'm constantly having to pay attention to the bobbins as well as the threads. But... we do what we have to do!! I am not willing to go out and buy three dozen more bobbins to fill in this project!!

Clay

Lesley Blackshaw wrote:
Sue Duckles wrote:
Do all bobbins need to be the same weight? IMHO I'd have thought not, some old bobbins could have buttons on them, different weight to glass beads.... or would one not put bone and wood bobbins together, or ones with wood beads as opposed to glass. Some ebay sellers put plastic beads on.... what do others think?|

I was thinking more that they seem very light and I've got a couple of light bobbins that I find don't handle as well as the heavier ones - especially with regard to tension.

Would appreciate the comments of those with more expeience than I.

Lesley

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]


-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]

Reply via email to