Hi Susan

Can you detail the actual cause determined, ie, tension, friction, etc., from
the cover cloth?

Sometimes the cause for threads to become weakened and shred is the cover
cloth. When we work our bobbins they are constantly being moved from side to
side across the pillow and, depending how we handle them*, they may wear out
as they slide across the cover cloth. If that cloth is at all rough the
friction between the cloth and the threads passing across it can cause the
damage to the bobbin threads. To minimumize the damage caused in this way
choose a smooth fine fabric for the cover cloth. If you fold the edge over
press it to make it as flat as possible. I have heard it said that polyester
is more rough than pure cotton, but I have seen no evidence of this. It
probably depends more on the particular fabric, how fine the individual
threads are and its weave. Some lacemakers use the selvedge as the top edge,
it is flatter but sometimes it can be rough  - so check first.  As I said
before, a remedy is to use a strip of polythene, several inches wide, across
the top edge of the cloth. (*Some hold bobbins higher off the pillow, a
stronger tension will increase the friction etc.)

I hope this answers your query. I am well aware that the English language is
imperfect at the best of times and it is notoriously easy to misinterpret.

Happy lacemaking

Alex